Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 70: Louiseville to Cap-Sante (112.84 km)

Since reaching the St Lawrence we've been seeing large ocean going
freighters like the one above with some frequency. It's encouraging
to think that at some point recently they were all in salt water.
It's starting to make reaching the Atlantic a much more tangible
concept.

Today was very similar to our last few days in Quebec: Beautiful
roads and towns, but intense heat that makes them difficult to enjoy.
Vanessa and I have really been struggling in the extreme humidity of
the last few weeks. It can turn what should be an easy and highly
enjoyable ride into a real challenge.

We've both been taking extra care to drink as much as possible and
snack throughout the day to keep our energy high and make sure our
muscles don't seize from dehydration; this is made significantly more
difficult by the tendency of our water to become hot and much less
refreshing after mere moments on the bike.

Tomorrow we have a bit of a treat. Vanessa and I will roll into
Quebec City for a rest day. Vanessa has been teasing me on this trip
for my obsession with historical sites and has said that Quebec City
will give me my "history fix" for the next while. Tomorrow's a
shorter ride so hopefully we'll get into town early and treat
ourselves to dinner on the town, probably something other than
spaghetti!

1 comment:

  1. I bet you guys will be riding right past Domaine Forget in the next few days! (I was there in June, it's so beautiful along the St. Lawrence!)

    ReplyDelete